Friday, December 11, 2009

Pittsburgh can't have everything, I guess

The Steelers and the Penguins on the same night? uhhh... I choose hockey please thank you. The Steelers are busy this season trying to make me hate football. I'm not sure why they would do that. I had almost no interest in watching that game. But. My husband said I had to. Also, I have trusty Big Ben on my fantasy football team. I wasn't going to play him because his receivers aren't interested in catching any balls he throws to them these days. But it's the playoffs in FF land and I said (to my husband who wisely advised me to play Carson Palmer, who I love more than anybody we have on our team... well, except Heath Miller), "I would rather lose because I played him than because I didn't. If that makes any sense." My husband said it made sense. He didn't agree with my decision but he knew where I was coming from. In the end, he got me 9 points. Far from FF championship-winning QB points, but also not as few as it looked like he would get me while watching (fast-forwarding) through the game. Come on. Kansas City? Oakland? And now Cleveland? The NFL is too fixed to enjoy. It has to be, right? I'm serious. I feel like I'm watching professional wrestling. The storylines, the underdogs playing like champions, the champions playing like... like, well, playing like the Cleveland Browns. Take it for what it is, Cleveland. You certainly didn't beat my Steelers. My Steelers catch balls and make tackles.

But hey. Look. The Penguins beat the Habs 3-2. And one of those goals was scored by Matt effingCooke. What more could I ask for? (I mean, besides Kris Letang scoring... and Craig Adams and Ruslan Fedotenko getting long overdue goals.) The Steelers were never going to win the Super Bowl this year. But the Penguins could win the Cup again. They are the real Steel City Champions for sure this year. If there are people who doubt that, they should watch hockey instead of or in addition to football. At least this season, I mean. They'll be much happier. Trust me.

LET'S GO PENS!

2 comments:

  1. Every time Kris Letang gets the puck I pray it goes in! He does so many good things, but until he starts scoring, he isn't going to get any recognition. Even Phil Bourque is down on Letang, last night during the pre-game he was going on about how great Goligoski is going to be on the power play, pretty much saying much better than Letang. As good as Goligoski is, I have to try to like him. He is supposed to save the power play - it was 0-5. Ever since Goligoski took over his power play time at the beginning of the season, it seems like Letang's confidence that he had during the playoffs is gone. That's only my theory, though. All of the praise that has gone to Gogo - and some of it much deserved - has to be getting to Tanger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My theory is that everybody is down on Letang because they don't want some other team to offer him money. Goligoski is no better than Kris on the PP. IMO, of course. I try to like GoGo too. Sometimes I succeed but something negative finds a way in. Even if I have to stretch. Like yesterday. "oh look Goligoski is back in the lineup!... ::eyeroll::... How convenient that he comes back on his medallion day."

    oh! The other night, my husband (MY HUSBAND!) commented on a great play by Letang in the defensive zone. He was all, "THAT was AWESOME!" It made me feel like a proud parent. When Price made that save on his slapper last night, I was hoping he broke one of his ribs at least.

    ReplyDelete